Saturday, October 9, 2010

First Wedding Cake



Just finished up my first class in the 4th course. We made a wedding cake in white. The string work looks amazing against the white fondant.



When working with royal icing make sure it's not breaking. If it is, then it is too dry and you need to add more piping gel or water to the mix. I was struggling and the strings kept breaking and didn't realize my mix was not right. I used someone else's and it was much easier to work with.

Royal Icing Mix:
10 tbs water
3 tps meringue powder
2 tbs of piping gel




The string work was tricky to do but it was much easier when I got a batch of icing that was softer.












I didn't want to make a full size cake so I made a mini-wedding cake instead. The top layer is a 4 inch cake, the middle is 6 inches and the bottom layer is an 8 inch cake.













2 comments:

  1. What a lovely first wedding cake, you're brave to be working with royal icing on your first attempt! It looks fab, well done x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lila Vanilla,
    Thank you so much! I didn't realize how tricky and time consuming it would be but the results are worth it. I saw your blog and your work is amazing!

    ReplyDelete